All alone as I Walked By The Banks of the River
Watching the evening drew nigh have Moonbeams.
All alone as I rambled I spied a fair damsel
weepin 'and Wailin' With Many a sigh.
weepin 'for One Who is now lyin' lonely
Mournin 'for No One Who Can Save mortal. As
The foaming dark waters flowed sadly ABOUT HIM THEY
Onward speed over young Jimmy's grave.
[...]
Watching the evening drew nigh have Moonbeams.
All alone as I rambled I spied a fair damsel
weepin 'and Wailin' With Many a sigh.
weepin 'for One Who is now lyin' lonely
Mournin 'for No One Who Can Save mortal. As
The foaming dark waters flowed sadly ABOUT HIM THEY
Onward speed over young Jimmy's grave.
[...]
Here is a Canadian folk song telling the story of a lumberjack (or "log driver" accompanying "rafts" down with the current) killed in a river. This is the version sung by Peter, Paul & Mary (Adaptation and Arrangements by Peter Yarrow, Noel Paul Stookey, Mary Travers, and Milton T Okun) which I propose the translation. The history of this song back in the 19th century, the author remains unknown. The text is sung to different melodies, but the version of Peter, Paul and Mary is simply sublime in its simplicity.
Jimmy Whalen
Only one evening as I walked to the edge of the wave
From the river the moon shone
Only one evening, I walked, I saw a
blonde girl cries, moaning, sighing Crying
who now lies
only one who is forever asleep
While around him roared the waves foaming
Covering the grave of poor
Jimmy Jimmy, do let me not stray
pain Why do not you stay with me?
But if death is the sword that we must separate
The ocean lies between you and me
Only one evening, I walked, I saw a blonde girl
cries, moaning, sighing
(Translation - Adaptation: Polyphrène)
Only one evening as I walked to the edge of the wave
From the river the moon shone
Only one evening, I walked, I saw a
blonde girl cries, moaning, sighing Crying
who now lies
only one who is forever asleep
While around him roared the waves foaming
Covering the grave of poor
Jimmy Jimmy, do let me not stray
pain Why do not you stay with me?
But if death is the sword that we must separate
The ocean lies between you and me
Only one evening, I walked, I saw a blonde girl
cries, moaning, sighing
(Translation - Adaptation: Polyphrène)
0 comments:
Post a Comment